Mother Goose (Newborn to 4 yrs)
Program is currently full, please call to be placed on a waitlist
The Parent-Child Mother Goose Program is a weekly group setting in which parents learn rhymes and songs and interact with their children to foster relationships and promote early language development.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
Parents/caregivers and their pre-school aged children (infants to 4 years of age).
WHAT HAPPENS AT A MOTHER GOOSE SESSION?
- The program is group-oriented and teaching is directed at the adults. The children participate as is appropriate to their stage of development and inclination.
- Activity focuses on interactive rhymes, stories, and songs.
- The pace is relaxed with plenty of time for repetition of material and casual discussion of issues and questions that may arise.
- The atmosphere is accepting and supportive, with the intent of building the confidence and comfort level of all participants and creating a feeling of community and mutual support within the group.
- Groups are small enough to ensure that the needs of individuals, as well as the group as a whole, can be met.
- Instructors are para-professionals, trained in the principles, materials, and methods required to facilitate the program effectively.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
- Gain confidence as learners and parents
- See that they can positively affect, through interaction, how their children behave and learn
- Develop more realistic expectations of their children
- Learn appropriate alternatives to physical control
- Learn new ways of dealing with infants and toddlers.
- Show a marked improvement in language and pre-literacy skills.
- Gain self-esteem.
- Develop social skills.
Parents and Children
- Experience the spark of delight and magic that comes from enjoying a favourite rhyme or song together.
- Learn and keep a repertoire of rhymes, songs, and stories.
- Enjoy strengthened bonding.
- Develop a network of friends.
These skills, pleasures, and insights are taken home and shared with older children and other close family members. The whole family benefits.
For more information or to pre-register, contact the program coordinator at FamilyPlace@communitybridge.ca or 250-785-6021 ext. 232.